March 23, 2013

Tea & Scones





















I made really delicious scones this morning. They were a total experiment. I am making an effort to eliminate processed sugar from my diet, and so I used honey in these instead of white sugar. I can hear the questions...honey? That's not vegan! No, technically it is not. After weighing the pros and cons I made the personal choice that the health benefits of local honey are numerous and I will keep it in my diet. There are two local beekeepers within 10 miles of my home.

Here is my recipe:

1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
2 tablespoons water
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt...or 1/4 if you want them to be less salty
pinch of baking soda
3/4 cup nondairy butter, cold

1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup local honey (dissolved into almond milk)

2 to 3 tablespoons almond milk (for brushing the tops of scones)
cinnamon (for sprinkling on top of scones)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
Lightly oil a cookie sheet

In a food processor blend water and Ener-G Egg Replacer until thick and creamy. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and use a pastry cutter or large fork to cut the butter into the flour. You should have a crumbly flour and butter mixture. (if you want to jazz up the recipe with dried fruit you can add those at this stage.

Add the milk and honey mixture and the egg replacer mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. It will make your scones tough. Once the dough starts to come together, place on a lightly floured surface and work into two logs. Flatten the logs and cut into triangle shapes with a butter knife.

Place on the prepared cookie sheet and brush on a small amount of almond milk quickly followed by a sprinkling of cinnamon.

Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cook on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment