November 7, 2010

Baked Apples

This is my first time making baked apples. They are a wonderful fall comfort food so I thought it was about time I tried to make them! I must admit I do not follow exact measuring for these. Here is the very simple recipe for 2 baked apples:


1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 whole all spice pieces, ground (or nutmeg)
1/2 cup sugar
2 apples (I used empire but granny smith would be good as well)
soy nog
2 teaspoons butter

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees



Mix the sugar, cinnamon and all spice in a small bowl, place aside. Core two apples while making sure to keep the bottoms solid. This will keep the juices in the apples instead of them leaking out the bottom. I like to use a spoon to scoop out the remaining core after I've used a knife to loosen it. Trim 1/2 inch of the apple peel off the top of the apple.



Fill each apple with the sugar/spice mixture. Place 1 teaspoon of butter on the top of each apple. Place the apples in a baking dish and poor just enough nutmeg in the dish so that the bottom is covered.



Place a piece of tin foil over the dish. (Do not forget this part...as I have done). The tin foil traps the juices and keeps your apples moist.

Bake for 45 minutes.

(I accidently baked my for too long and they fell apart...they are still very good but messy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment