September 22, 2012

Soap Making!

Silky Lavender in the mold!

Pam's Soap Studio is doing so great! I've been experimenting with a variety of soap making oils, herbs, natural colorants and essential oils. Soap takes about 3-4 weeks to cure so my bars are not available in the Etsy shop yet, but they soon will be! The soap pictured above is my Silky Lavender bar. It is made with a combination of palm oil, canoal oil, coconut oil, olive oil, vitamin e, shea butter and tussah silk. I know, I know...not 100% vegan but the tussah silk came to the studio as a gift and I was assured it is cruelty free. It adds increased lather and a luxurious silky feeling to it.

For those who have not heard my story (and are interested) here is how I came about making my own soap:

My interest in natural skincare began with a general interest in natural living. I grew up in a very "make-it-from-scratch" type of family. Having a vegetable and herb garden when I settled into my own home was a natural addition. The gardens have not only inspired me to pay close attention to what I put in my body but also what I put on my body.  The skin is our largest organ and it our first defense against all elements such as microorganisms and pollutants. When I started looking at the ingredients list of my skincare products I was truly shocked. As I did more research I learned that not only were the ingredients used potentially harmful to my body the manner in which they were developed and tested were harmful to animals. I knew a change was needed.

I bought handmade soap from a couple local craft fairs and farmers markets and totally loved them. They were gentle on my skin and left my skin feeling clean and moisturized. My “make-it-from-scratch” genes kicked in. I HAD to learn how to make soap for myself! And so the research began. I learned more and more about aromatherapy and the healing benefits of natural oils, herbs, clays and spices. I am also a ceramic artist, so the process of creating soap molds and using a formula to create an end product were all very natural to me.  I wanted to share my creations with others and so I decided to open an Etsy shop.

Mint Soap, Curing
Pam's Soap Studio is on Facebook and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment