February 24, 2013

Filled Pancakes


Before I was vegan, I made these awesome pancake-like things called Ebelskivers. I've missed them so much so I decided to pair my vegan pancake recipe with the Ebelskiver technique. The main difference is the texture. Ebelskivers have a very pastry-like quality while these are more like pancakes. I think they are just as good. They taste great served warm or cold. When eaten cold they are very similar to donuts!

I varied the filling in this batch: strawberry jelly, crunchy peanut butter, and chocolate peanut butter.

The secret to these filled pancakes is the pan used to make them. The one I have was a wedding gift. If you want to try Ebelskivers or my version you can buy the pan at Williams Sonoma.

Pam's (vegan) Pancakes

1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg replacer (I use Ener-G)
1 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon sugar

  • Mix wet ingredients in a medium bowl. (Follow the directions on the Ener-G box.  The Ener-G powder, combined with the water goes into this wet ingredients combination.
  • Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  • Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet ingredients and stir with a whisk until smooth.
  • To make the pancakes- make sure the pan is warm (medium heat setting). Brush the hollows of the pan with melted Earth Balance.
  • Spoon a tablespoon of batter into each hollow. Immediately spoon 1/2 teaspoon of filling on top. Then put just enough batter on top of the filling to encapsulate the filling (about a tablespoon) 
  • Once the batter puffs up, has bubbles, and looks dry on the sides, use chopsticks to rotate the pancake so the top is now on the bottom and in the hollow. William Sonoma's website has a video on how to turn the pancakes. 

I have seen vegan Ebelskiver recipes on the internet but have not tried them. If you find one that you like please share!

Pin It



No comments:

Post a Comment