January 28, 2010

Homescaping: My Cottage Garden Dream

Have you ever seen a cottage garden? Their rustic elegance makes them a magical place to explore and relax. Over the past few weeks I've been on the edge of my seat for Spring to come. While I still have a few months to wait, I've been sketching out my gardening plan.

The home I recently purchased has no quality landscaping. There were three, now one, large bushes in 3 of the 4 corners of the yard. When I say large I mean LARGE! The diameter was about 10 feet and the height was roughly 7 feet. As we chopped down two of them we noticed that the main shrub spawned offshoots that took root, hence the largeness!

Here is my plan to make my bare property into a bountiful garden (if you double click on it you should see a larger version of the sketch):


Cottage gardens take years to mature (or so I've learned during my research). It is that characteristic that makes me love them so much! I adore the idea of being able to go to a nursery, find a plant I love and plant it in an empty spot in the garden. The eclectic nature of the garden is going to allow it to grow with me. It will truly be overflowing with wonderful memories.

Another lovely characteristic of cottage gardens is how they allow me to stash away rusty cans and gardening tools and worn-in wooden garden furniture to use as focal points! I can't wait to visit antique shops and country yard sales in search of those special pieces overflowing with character!

No comments:

Post a Comment